Description: Written Assignment
Due: Session 6
Word-limit: 1000 words
Write a review of the complete text of one of the following books.
There are extracts from most (not all) of these authors' work in the Course Anthology, but you will (of course) be expected to give full consideration to whole of the book, in each case.
[NB: The set of books available for review may vary according to campus and year. Do be sure to check with your local course convenor to get an up-to-date list.]
- Kathy Acker. Kathy Goes to Haiti (1978)
- Steve Braunias. Civilisation: Twenty Places on the Edge of the World (2012)
- Bill Bryson. The Lost Continent: Travels in Small Town America (1989)
- Bruce Chatwin. In Patagonia (1977)
- Martin Edmond. Luca Antara: Passages in Search of Australia (2006)
- Colin Hogg. Angel Gear: On the Road with Sam Hunt (1989)
- Paul Theroux. The Happy Isles of Oceania: Paddling the Pacific (1992)
- Hunter S. Thompson. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream (1971)
- What, as you see it, is the author’s overall intention in his/her work?
- How effectively does he/she achieve it?
- Give clear quotations or examples to justify your reading.
[Norman Rockwell: Art Critic (1955)]